Professional communicators work in areas you would not immediately mention if you were asked to name a couple. Social Media experts, motivational speakers, anchor men, therapists, coaches and journalists would spring to mind. And how about doctors, nurses, school teachers, employees in the department stores, trainers in sports, flight attendants, managers, directors and so on. When you think of it, communication takes part in almost every job you could name. Many professionals are unconsciously also professional communicators. Whatever the fileds they choose to make their careers in, should you ask them what they are really good at, they would name a lot of skills and requirements and probably forget to mention that they are good at communicating. But they are very good at it for it is most likely, their communication style has brought them to where they are today. Unless they feel out of zinc with colleagues or relationships with clients and suppliers are proofing to be troublesome; then of course there are communication issues at hand. Professionals who are confident that they possess the required education and qualities to do their jobs, might believe that the encountered troubles lay at the other end. They are probably unaware of the impact of their communication style on others. So called blind spots that everybody else hears or sees, but are reluctant to point out for the sake of friendship or for the sake of avoiding conflict, influence the relationships they maintain. If NLP would be part of the curriculum in schools, a lot of the work could be done at an earlier stage to enable any person to become a professional communicator. The five principles that NLP works with form the fundament in all situations where communication matters.
- The map is not the territory. Every human being makes up their own map of the world and this map influences their interpretation of words.
- In every behaviour lies a positive intention. People make the best choices they have available at the time, some times choices are not yet conscious.
- Everybody has got within what they need to thrive. Some people are not aware of their qualities or they are but don’t yet know how to use them.
- There is no failure, there is only feedback. People can learn from mistakes and learn from their surroundings every day.
- Body and mind are relative. A happy mind results in positive actions and vice versa.
Keeping these basics in the back of your head is already a start of personal development in communication. NLP training means stepping up and aspiring to make of every situation a successful one with the practices and thoughts that NLP offers.